Manatees are warm-weather visitors to South Carolina, typically arriving in May and leaving by November. Please see SCDNR’s Tips for Being Manatee Friendly below:
- Dock owners should never feed manatees or give them fresh water.
- Never pursue, harass or play with manatees. It is bad for the manatees and is illegal.
- Boaters should look around for manatees before cranking their boat’s motor and watch for large swirls in the water that may be caused by manatees diving away.
- Heed “slow speed,” “no wake” signs, especially around docks. Use caution when navigating in shallow water and along the edge of a marsh.
- Wear polarized sunglasses to reduce glare, making it easier to spot manatees below the surface.
Report any wildlife violations to SCDNR’s 24/7 hotline: 1-800-922-5431.